Monday, September 24, 2007

"Serving Suggestion" and other strange topics

The other day, while I was cleaning house, my mind wandered off into its usual strange places. I started thinking about the dinners in my freezer (graduate school staple food), and noticed that the covers have the fine print, "Serving Suggestion." As if we are so gullible that we would believe that a little package of frozen dinner would come straight out of the box with a beautiful bowl, cutlery, etc. I supposed someone had believed it, hence the fine print.

Anyway, I started wondering about this. What if I joined one of those online dating services like "Match.com," and found a picture of some twenty-something gorgeous blond, put her in my profile, and added the disclaimer "serving suggestion?" Of course, I have a feeling that most people wouldn't get it. Not that I have any immediate plans to try an online dating service. A couple of years ago, I tried "eHarmony," and was inundated with so many creeps and weirdos that I actually went back to my personality profile to make sure I hadn't filled it out wrong. I told them to get my info the h*ll out of their database after a couple of months. My creep homing beacon works just find without help, thank you very much.

In other subjects, I have noticed a couple of rather strange adverts for medications. The first one that I noticed was a medication for restless leg syndrome (I don't remember the name of the medication). One of the warnings was that patients should call their doctors if they experienced sudden urges to gamble or strong sexual urges while taking this medication.

The other ad was for a sleeping pill, that came with the warning that the patient should contact his/her doctor immediately if they were driving, walking, or doing any other activities in their sleep. If they made it safely back to bed, how would they know what they were doing in their sleep anyway (unless they had a spouse/partner who noticed the patient taking the car out for a drive, going for long walks, or baking bread in their sleep).

It's a strange world we live in, isn't it?

1 comment:

Agatestone said...

Cute post. And yes, many things need serving suggestions. I think it would be beneficial if people had them too!