Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Fever and other strange occurrances

For the first time in quite awhile, I have become terribly sick with what I am guessing is some strain of influenza. The really bad symptoms, like fever, terrible aches and pains, congestion, cough, etc. lasted only a day, making me really glad that I got my flu shot. Anyway, I thought I'd share some of my fever-ridden, cold-medicine-driven dreams.

I was called back to work in the ICU (as if!!!!). The guy I had been dating and who dumped me so maliciously was in a room with a patient, trying to start an IV. He'd just been unsuccessful, and I came in and offered to help. The guy (we'll call him Gollum, so I don't have to use his real name. Anyway, Gollum's close enough, heh) skeptically said I could help. Gollum, for the time that I knew him, truly viewed himself as God's gift to the medical community. But I digress...

Anyway, back to the dream. The patient for some reason had veins outside of his body. I got the equipment to start the IV, and Gollum and I got into this weird, third-party argument:

Gollum: So what's been going on?
Willow: Well, I have this friend who was totally in love with this guy, and then he dumped her without explanation.
Gollum: Well, maybe she just dumped him and doesn't want to admit it.
Willow (more heated): Well, that wouldn't take into consideration the five or so times she tried to apologize, without her even knowing what she did wrong, and he completely ignored her!

The dream got a bit blurry here, but I do remember a scene in which I said something like, "Denial is more than a river in Egypt," and Gollum didn't "get it."

Then the dream morphed into this scene in which I was at home in my living room and I found a two-headed earthworm in the middle of my floor. I picked it up and put it outside, wondering how a worm had gotten into my house. Yes, I know, Freudians and probably therapists in general would have a field day with this. Go ahead.

My final dream scene, possibly as an apology from my unconscious, was of me looking happily out of the window of my new house at Lake Superior in northern Michigan.

Anyway, for those of you who may be wondering, there is only ONE CURE for flu, cold, and similar viruses: Pizza with pepperoni and hot peppers, heavy on the pepperoni, from your favorite pizza establishment.

2 comments:

Agatestone said...

Rasam Soup from Udipi on Orchard Lake. Or, the hot pepper and squid stir fry from one of the Seoul Gardens. Those are surefire cold busters.

Susan said...

I realize that I'm in the minority here, but I like chicken vegetable soup with lots of garlic when I'm sick.