Thursday, October 25, 2007

Newsflash

If you don't know it, a Lean Cuisine frozen meal just doesn't taste right if you really want a roast beef meal from Arby's. Yes, I do love junk food, especially when I am sick for some reason.

A few years ago, I had a boss who was delighted that I didn't mind going to junk-food restaurants with him. My predecessors had all been health junkies, and he probably had some sort of fast food about four of the five workdays. He didn't know that every time I saw him with something fried, I secretly prayed that his wife made him dinners of nothing but brown rice and vegetables, and lots of red wine to lower his cholesterol. Anyway...

My boss and I frequently had meetings in somewhat distant cities, so if our schedules were the same, we would sometimes eat lunch together. Hence his relief that I would not limit my diet to what is only good for me. The first time this happened, we got out of a meeting around noon, and he asked rather sheepishly, "Would you mind going to this pizza place I know for lunch?" I said (of course), "Not at all. I love pizza." He looked at me like I had just landed there from another planet: "You eat pizza?!"

On another occasion, I was working with an intern who was studying public health, and we got into this conversation (she was also a health food junkie):

Intern: Willow, did you know there's a new food pyramid out?
Willow: Really--where did you find it? Send me the link.
Boss walks into the room: What's a food pyramid?
Willow: Don't worry about it. It's nothing you want to know about.
Boss: I think I've just been insulted.


In other news, I have been using Quicken 2007 to update my bank accounts. It worked fine for awhile, then suddenly stopped "talking" to the bank. Because on a normal day, I don't have much time to spend figuring out what went wrong with my software, I let the problem go for awhile. Anyway, last night I tried to fix it, and ended up somehow locking myself out of my own bank account. Now I have no idea what's going on with my accounts unless I either 1: start doing my banking the old fashioned way again or 2: call someone at the bank, tell them what an idiot I was, and try to remember which secret answer to which secret question I have for that bank to identify myself to the bank as the lawful owner of the money (and debt, heh). And since the Quicken website is about as much help as the clues in The DaVinci Code, I've gotten no help from them either.

2 comments:

Agatestone said...

I didn't know you liked junk food, Willow. I've been known to dabble a bit myself. Taco bell, for instance.

Willow said...

Taco Bell's chicken quesadillas are awesome. Not that I'm trying to become a junk food connoisseur or anything.

But I am finding that having pneumonia is a rather unique experience. Now that I have antibiotics and other assorted remedies in my system, my symptoms aren't so bad. But I'm really not strong enough to get up and around, except, well, maybe the Arby's drive-thru. And the medication that is curing me is also keeping me from sleeping for long periods of time, so I have had plenty of time to read, cruise the Internet, call the few friends I know who don't have 8-5ish jobs, watch my hair grow, etc.