Monday, April 7, 2008

"Dexter" revisited and Metallica whispering

Okay, I have now watched several episodes of "Dexter," and, I have to admit, am in the process of downloading the entire first season from Amazon.

Anyway, my initial fascination with this show has eroded somewhat, possibly because I had a really bad case of insomnia last night and began to apply logic to the ideas in the show. So I ask my occasional reader:

If you rescued a child from a crime scene, adopted him, and he began to display some, err, unusual traits even as a young child, would you a: get his butt into therapy or b: teach him how to stalk and kill. Apparently Dexter's foster father thought "b" was the more useful course of action.

Okay, Dexter is an admitted serial killer of other serial killers. He lives in Miami. The show has been on since 2006. Let's say Showtime does about 26 episodes/year, and Dexter offs one serial killer per episode, all in his immediate vicinity. That would equal about 52 serial killers for Miami that the police department hadn't either caught or suspected, as Dexter basically leaves no tracks. Either Miami is some sort of gathering place for serial killers or this show is seriously running on "Improbability Drive." I wonder what the Miami Tourist Bureau thinks of this show.

Finally, his foster sister, a homicide detective, is currently dating--you guessed it--a serial killer. Now, I have about as much training in investigation as a gnat, and the minute this guy came on screen and the audience was made aware of his profession (prosthetic/orthotic maker), I said to myself, yep, that's the serial killer they've been looking for. This is in addition to the serial killers that Dexter has been after, and Dexter himself, which brings the count up to about...54 serial killers in Miami, and I'm not even counting the ones that I may not have noticed or forgotten about.

I have to admit, this only partially diminishes my fascination with this show. I really love the psychology. I almost went to graduate school for psych, but I realized that there is a huge difference between my fascination with the collective and individual psyches that make up the human race and sitting in an office all day listening to people talk about their problems. Not that I am against therapy--I have certainly used it myself in many different situations. But I was an ER/ICU nurse and still am at heart: I don't have the patience to become a therapist. This, however, does not diminish one bit my fascination with why people do what they do.

But I digress. I still will watch "Dexter," especially the episodes that I paid for (heh). Certainly the scripting and acting (especially the acting of the man who plays Dexter--Michael C. Hall, if I am not mistaken, for some reason I keep forgetting his name), are still very compelling. And there is plenty of the kind of one-liner humor in this show that I love. My favorite lines out of the last couple of weeks:

Dexter's really naive girlfriend texts him: "What are you doing right now?" Dexter mutters to himself, "Breaking and entering."

And on a completely different note (heh), I have discovered a really strange talent: I know when a song by Metallica is going to be played on the radio, and can tune into a radio station right about the time the song starts. I have no idea why. I like Metallica, but I have never felt a huge passion for them the way I have for, say, Robert Plant or Peter Gabriel.

Hopefully one of these days my talent will evolve into "Lottery Number Whispering."

No comments: