Sunday, April 13, 2008

Logic applied to Lord of the Rings

Okay, I wrote this last week, but since I am doing the same thing with "Star Wars" at the moment, I thought I'd post it now.

I stumbled upon "The Fellowship of the Ring" tonight and have been watching it on and off. I haven't seen it in quite awhile, which may account for some skeptical questions that popped into my head during different scenes:

Okay, if you were sitting on the porch in the evening, and some creature (Ringwraith) comes up to your door, looking like the Angel of Death, and scares your watchdog into the house, would you give him directions?

Why does it take Gandalf so long to figure out that The One Ring was really The One Ring? As far as I could see, Middle-Earth didn't have a huge inventory of rings that made people (hobbits, elves, whatever Gollum was, etc.) invisible. Unless I missed the scene with the Invisible Ring Emporium.

Finally, if you did finally figure out what the One Ring was, and you went to your boss (Saruman), and your boss looked like he hadn't slept in about three months, and his place looked like a Middle Earth version of a meth lab, wouldn't you think something was up??

Or am I just jaded??

No comments: