Friday, January 26, 2007

Odd dreams and odd thoughts

I had a dream a couple of weeks ago in which I had finally met and fallen in love with my "soul-mate," and he felt the same way. We were spending time together and in the dream we were ecstatically happy. Then I woke up, still divorced, still without a Saturday night date, and no soul-mate in sight. I was terribly disappointed, but I did think it was better than the dream in which one of my patients went "Code Blue,"* and I went to get the crash cart* and found that the defibrillator* was missing--one of those ICU nurse neurotic dreams, I suppose.

* For the medically unaware:
Code Blue: when a patient's heart stops
Crash cart: the thing that holds all of the emergency medications and equipment
Defibrillator: the thingy with the paddles that restarts a patient's heart.


Anyway, two nights ago, I dreamed that I was lying on my back on a hillside in a beautiful forest, in a passionate embrace with this man. Once again, I was so happy in my dream, believing that I had found the perfect man for me. I woke up to find one of my cats sleeping on my chest. That wasn't exactly what I'd had in mind in my dreams!!

Anyone reading this must wonder if I am unhappy or lonely. Far from it. But I have commented before on the difficulty in finding someone compatible. And since I work in a rather unique urban environment, my usual joke is that the men who flirt with me are usually either homeless, over eighty years old, or have prison records.*

*Not the staff members, the patients. Just thought I should clear that up.

Anyway, I am really not sure what these dreams meant, other than to frustrate me. :) I certainly don't believe in the concept of "soul-mates," I think that belief is antithetical to the concept of free will. I just can't believe that the Creator would plan everything out that way before we are all born: okay, Jack goes with Mary, Steve goes with Sue, etc.

But I am starting to wonder if I do have a soul mate and he accidentally got stuck on Iceland or something. Hm. I thought I would have more to say about this but that's about it.

3 comments:

Agatestone said...

Willow, at least you know that the guy who wanted his ice cream back wasn't your soulmate. I think you're going through a weeding-out process. It will be beneficial in the end. If you want him, he's out there.

deb said...

Willow,

Thanks for trying to help me out with my werewolves poem. I have to be done with that site...we will not see eye to eye. Still, I very much appreciate your thoughtfulness.

By the way, my poem was about an actual experience where the man - who just might be my soulmate - was sincerely out of character...but the beautiful full moon explained it all to me. I do love the night sky and I do believe that people (and other things) change at night and with the moon's phases.

I have worked alot of night shifts (Peds=first love, Labor and Delivery=last one, MBU and Special Care Nursery are fillers...but I am a SAHM now.)It is all irrelevant...to my poem

I just wanted to say thanks for giving my thoughts a shot. Imagine that poor werewolf, on the full moon wanting a bit of the ebb....that is all...we see sides of people...not ALL sides of people. That is where I was headed. I think you know what I mean.

Thanks and good luck to you in all that you do. Deb

deb said...

I also don't believe in soulmates (even though I said this man might be one for me....)...still, it is that feeling of soulmates.

The "feeling" comes from the knowledge and acceptance of each other and the few facets of each other that we are aware of. The facets are key...being divorced we both know there are facets to be seen...always...some to be kept unseen as long as possible.

So what of the ugly one or two we (and our love) cannot help? Hmmm...the werewolf syndrome...all is fine except that one itty bitty, rarely occuring thing...hmmm.

Good bye Willow..thanks again, Deb