Saturday, January 13, 2007

Weird Fruit Dream Part Two

When I related the story of the "pummelo dream," Agatestone suggested that I eat one, as it must have some sort of significance in my life. But that got me thinking about the Greek myth of Demeter and Persephone (pardon the spelling, I didn't feel like looking the names up). Anyway, for those who are not familiar with the story, Persephone was Demeter's daughter, and Demeter was some kind of weather-goddess (okay, my Greek mythology class was a really long time ago). Anyway, Persephone somehow got lured to the Underworld, and Demeter went into this long depression, and during this time, all of the trees, crops, etc. died. Persephone then escaped from the Underworld, but somehow, she had to spend seven months there every year because she had eaten seven seeds from a pomagranate. I have no idea who made up these rules, but the story goes that that is how winter was created.

I haven't been lured to the Underworld lately, although my most recent class, Financial Management, may be the equivalent. But I was wondering, what if there was some sort of cosmic connection between the pummelo and my eating it? What if I ate it, and all of a sudden the universe changed in some way? I certainly wouldn't create winter, we already have it (sort of) in the Mitten.

Strange things could happen if I ate that pummelo. I could suddenly be transported to another universe, or send this universe through some sort of wormhole in the galaxy where we come out the other end and every thing is different: people are pink, green, and purple, trees are iridescent, and the sky is brown. I just don't know if I want to take any chances with this awsome responsibility.

On the other hand, it is just a piece of fruit that I had a dream about.

2 comments:

Agatestone said...

Willow,

What is life if not to take chances. I say go for it. eat the pummelo. Maybe the universe will change, but probably not. Because, I would assume many people have eaten pummelos throughout history. Or, that could be why things change, because people are eating pummelos. Anyway, what if we are just ants in one of those ant box things...whatever they are called? Maybe there's a finite number of pummelos allowed by the owner of the ant box thingy and nothing will change where you eat one or not. We'll still be ants in the ant box thingy.

The Lettershaper said...

Much enjoyed my time here...